Two Years of B.Com (Hons.) at JIMS Greater Noida — My Honest Take

 If someone had asked me two years ago what I expected from college, I probably would have said good marks, good friends and a degree at the end of it. Now, as a second-year B.Com (Hons.) student at JIMS Greater Noida, I realise that college is much more about the small experiences you collect along the way.

I am Kamya, and my experience at JIMS has been a mixture of things I expected and things I never really thought about before joining. The first year was mostly about adjusting. You enter college thinking you know how everything works, and then suddenly there are assignments, presentations, internal assessments, different teachers and a completely different routine. It takes some time to find your balance.

One of the things I noticed after joining B.Com (Hons.) is that the course is broader than I initially imagined. There are subjects that make you genuinely curious about business and finance, while some chapters can make you question why you chose commerce in the first place! But that is also part of the experience. You slowly figure out which areas interest you and where you want to put more effort.

My interaction with the professors has been fairly positive. What I appreciate most is that I can approach them when I genuinely need help. Some professors are more interactive, while others follow a more traditional teaching approach. I don't think every class is going to be equally interesting, but when you participate and ask questions instead of simply sitting through the lecture, you get much more out of it.

Another thing that changed for me was my attitude towards presentations and speaking in front of people. In the beginning, even a simple presentation could feel like a huge task. After doing several of them, you gradually stop overthinking every word. You learn how to explain an idea, work with a group and deal with those moments when your mind suddenly goes blank in front of everyone. These are small things, but they make you more confident over time.

There are also days when college is simply about having fun. Sitting with friends after class, discussing assignments five minutes before the deadline, making plans that never happen, and somehow managing to laugh even when everyone is stressed are all part of the experience. These ordinary moments are probably what make college memorable.

JIMS also provides opportunities to experience things outside regular classroom learning. Industrial visits, seminars, activities and other exposure give students a chance to see a side of business that cannot be completely understood through textbooks. For me, these experiences make the course feel more connected to what actually happens outside college.

Of course, there are things that can be challenging too. Attendance, assignments and multiple deadlines can sometimes become frustrating. There are days when you simply want to go home after a long schedule. But I think these challenges are also teaching me something about responsibility and time management.

The biggest lesson I have learned in my second year is that college gives you opportunities, but it doesn't automatically guarantee growth. If you participate, ask questions, try new things, learn additional skills and take internships seriously, you can get much more out of your three years.

I wouldn't describe my experience at JIMS as perfect, because no college experience is. But I can say that I have changed since joining. I am more comfortable communicating with people, handling presentations and taking responsibility for my work.

Two years ago, I entered JIMS Engineering Management Technical Campus, Greater Noida as a student wondering what college would be like. Now, halfway through my degree, I am still figuring things out—but with a little more confidence and a lot more memories.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SANCTION FOR PROSECUTION

Rights and obligations of Issuer, Participant and Beneficial owner under the Depository Act, 1996

Teacher As: Critical Pedagogue