My Experience as a B.Com(Hons.) Student at JIMSEMTC, Greater Noida
My name is Shanvi Sinha, and I am currently a second-year B.Com(Hons.) student at JIMSEMTC, Greater Noida. I decided to write about my experience because when I was looking for colleges, I also wanted to know what college life was like from the perspective of a student and not just what was written on official websites. Now that I have completed my first year and am in my second year, I feel I can give a more realistic picture of my experience so far.
When I first joined JIMSEMTC Greater Noida, I had the usual mixed feelings that most students probably have when entering college. There was excitement about starting a new phase of life, but at the same time, there was a little nervousness about academics, teachers, making friends and adjusting to a completely new environment. The first few weeks were mainly about getting comfortable with the campus, understanding how things work, and getting to know the people around me. Gradually, things became easier, and college started feeling less unfamiliar.
Talking specifically about B.Com (Hons.), I would say that the course gives you exposure to different areas of commerce and business. There are subjects that I genuinely find interesting, while there are also subjects that require considerably more effort and regular study. Like any other undergraduate course, there are assignments, presentations, projects, internal assessments, and examinations. Sometimes managing everything together can become a little stressful, especially when deadlines start coming close, but it has also taught me how to manage my time better.
One thing I have particularly noticed during my time at JIMS is that learning is not restricted to simply sitting in a classroom and studying from books. We get opportunities to participate in presentations, activities, seminars, and other academic events. As someone who has had to give presentations in college, I can say that they were initially a little uncomfortable. However, with time, speaking in front of a class becomes much easier. These activities may seem like just another college requirement at first, but they do help in developing communication and confidence.
Another part of my college experience that I appreciate is the industrial visits. In our semesters, we have opportunities for industrial exposure, including visits that allow us to see how organizations function in a practical environment. As a commerce student, I think this is useful because there is a difference between reading about business operations in a textbook and getting an idea of how things work in an organization. These experiences make some of the concepts we study feel more connected to the real world.
The faculty experience has also been an important part of my journey. Different teachers have different teaching styles, and naturally, you may connect with some more than others. However, I have found teachers to be approachable when students genuinely need help with their subjects, assignments, or presentations. I have also realized that students have to take some initiative themselves. Simply attending classes isn’t always enough; asking questions, participating and interacting with teachers can make the academic experience much better.
If someone asks me about the pros and cons of JIMSEMTC, Greater Noida, I will say that there are positives as well as things that may not work for everyone. The exposure through activities and industrial visits is something I appreciate. At the same time, students have to deal with assignments, attendance requirements, deadlines, and academic pressure, which can sometimes feel tiring. I don’t think it is realistic to say that any college is perfect. Every student will have a different experience depending on their expectations and how actively they participate.
One thing I would recommend to any student pursuing B.Com (Hons.) is not to depend completely on the college for their future. College can provide opportunities, but it is up to us to use them. Internships, certifications, communication skills, Excel, financial knowledge, presentations, and other practical skills can make a big difference. I started understanding this more clearly during my second year. Your degree is important, but the additional skills and experiences you build alongside it are equally valuable.
Looking back at my first year and comparing it with where I am now, I can definitely see a change in myself. I have become more comfortable with presentations, group work, and interacting with different people. I have also become more aware of what I want to explore during the remaining years of my degree. There are still things I need to improve, but I think that is also what college is about—learning gradually and figuring things out along the way.
So, as a second-year B.Com (Hons.) I am a student at JIMSEMTC, Greater Noida, I would describe my experience as a mixture of academics, practical exposure, friendships, activities, deadlines, and a lot of learning outside the classroom. If you are considering joining JIMSEMTC, I would suggest visiting the campus, talking to current students, and understanding the course before making your decision. Don’t expect college to be perfect but also don’t underestimate what you can gain from it if you actively participate.
For me, JIMSEMTC has so far been more than just a place where I attend classes and take examinations. It has been a place where I am slowly becoming more confident, independent, and prepared for what comes after graduation. And honestly, as a second-year student, I still have a lot left to experience.
Comments
Post a Comment